"Given that we can live only a small part of what there is in us - what happens with the rest?"

Quote by Pascal Mercier

My mask making began with a visit to the Alice Atelier, Florence Italy, where I met Professor Agostino Dessi and daughter Alice and learned how to make a mask the traditional Italian way. “These are story containers” Agostino explains, “Stories are delicate, it’s best to store them in places that suit them. The stories a person can give to the world are precious”. Visit the Alice Atelier at http://www.alicemasks.com/

“Masks are made to liberate people’s hearts and minds” Agostino Dessi.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Road to Mecca (a play)


It had been three years since I last set foot inside Dunedin's Globe Theatre, and although wary I judged it safe enough to return. The play I wanted to see was about the life and works of Helen Martins of New Bethesda, who strived within a crushingly conservative community to bring light and colour into her life by embellishing her environment with reflective mirror patterns and concrete sculptures of the oddest, most eccentric kind. Her home – the Owl House – is now a famous tourist attraction in South Africa, a ‘Mecca’ of sorts with lots of mirrors.
http://www.owlhouse.co.za/

I remembered those cramped red seats and close, interiorized setting. The play was intense, brilliantly acted, a credit to cast and director. But unexpectedly at the play’s ending, that moment when the cast usually takes their bows, we the audience, were asked “do please stand for a minute’s silence” (we weren’t sure if this odd request was part of the play, or not?). Turns out the photographer responsible for taking promotional shots a few days earlier had died unexpectedly. That really creeped me out!

Because three years earlier, my crew and I were photographing masks for publicity purposes in the old Globe theatre just days before death struck…

...We found a rich red coat amongst the Globe’s comprehensive costume collection and had dressed the model in coat and red “Death” (no-one but me knew the mask she wore was named “Death”). Inside the Globe was pretty gloomy. Our photographer’s assistant, a talented young photography student from Japan, was running late so my job was to reflect light onto the model using a large mirror found on site.

Just as I was hefting the mirror into a good position the student photographer duly appeared, but when she suddenly lunged across the darkened space and grabbed the mirror off me, focusing its light onto the mask herself, I thought Okaaay. Slightly miffed, I got out of the way in the nick of time as the death mask reflection fell on her, not me.

Less than a week later she drove her car in front of a fast moving train after taking photos at the beach. Her last roll of film went to Japan (what manner of images was on it I wonder) along with her munted body.

Now I caution mask makers to NEVER name a mask “Death” although mirrored reflections bouncing around the space seem more hazardous than the mask itself.

No comments: