"Given that we can live only a small part of what there is in us - what happens with the rest?"

Quote by Pascal Mercier

My mask making began with a visit to the Alice Atelier, Florence Italy, where I met Professor Agostino Dessi and daughter Alice and learned how to make a mask the traditional Italian way. “These are story containers” Agostino explains, “Stories are delicate, it’s best to store them in places that suit them. The stories a person can give to the world are precious”. Visit the Alice Atelier at http://www.alicemasks.com/

“Masks are made to liberate people’s hearts and minds” Agostino Dessi.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

For Elisabeth (aka Madama Butterfly)


To me, Elisabeth Kubler Ross is Madama Butterfly...and today is an auspicious day. October 7, 2007 is the day Elisabeth Kubler Ross, scientist, doctor, educator, mother, is inducted (posthumously, for she passed away on August 24, 2004) in a special ceremony into the National Women’s Hall of Fame in the United States.

Dr. Elisabeth Kubler Ross is best known as the person who revolutionized grief and bereavement attitudes toward dying patients and their families. She was responsible for bringing the concept of “dying with dignity” into mainstream medicine, and when she toured New Zealand (1985) I spent one week with this tiny great lady, a chain smoker who puffed outside on the cold concrete steps flicking ash all over her open-toed roman sandals.

In Elisabeth’s presence (we were allowed to call her Elisabeth, but never “Liz”) I woke up to masks. First came a silly ‘mask’ drawing, then a collage pasted with paper mask cutouts, next I really wanted to make a whole mask from scratch. How hard could it be?

How hard can it be? Twenty years later I am still obsessing about it!

Last week, on a night with a most beautiful and numinous full moon, and more than twenty years since I saw her last, EKR appeared to me in a dream, her eyes twinkling. Using the telepathic ‘voice’ peculiar to dream sequences I communicated with her that she was looking in fine spirit (considering she was dead!!)

“Was it all worth it?” I wondered out loud, remembering how EKR had endured rotten tomatoes being thrown her way simply because she had been daring enough to tell us modern disenchanted people that we were spiritual beings whether we liked it or not (not to mention her “unconditional love” for AIDS babies)…

She assured me IT WAS.

Indeed, for today is the day EKR takes her place amongst 217 other great women in the NWHOF. More power to Her!
http://www.greatwomen.org/

Check out http://www.elisabethkublerross.com/pages/store.html. Here you will find tiny paper butterflies* impregnated with flower seeds for planting in the garden. How cool is that?
*Elisabeth’s symbol of hope, renewal and new life.

1 comment:

Jilly said...

Hi ROSEMASK, aka my older sister.... While I was reading your blog space notes, on your connection with Dr. Elisabeth Kubler Ross, I couldnt help but think what an amazing inspiration she was for you. I remember hearing you talk about her many years ago. You most definatly pick up on her vibe. Good job sister girl. Love Jilly